The Importance of Water When Making Coffee:
The quality of water you use to brew your espresso or filter coffee is just as, if not more, important as the quality of coffee beans you use, which makes sense considering that coffee is 98% water. Thus, bad water makes bad coffee. Here are a few simple tips & tricks to follow:
- Do not use tap water that has a distinct metallic taste, for obvious reasons.
- Do not use distilled water because it lacks the essential minerals needed to ameliorate the extraction process; it will also ruin your espresso machine.
- Therefore, use filtered or bottled water with an ideal mineral content of 150 ppm
- The perfect brewing temperature is between 195°F (91°C) and 205°F (96°C).
- Thus, do not bring the water to a boil (212°F /100°C) because it will over-extract the coffee.
Now, go out and impress people with your random coffee knowledge! And as always, thank you for reading and joining me on this #internationalcoffeejourney